More than just a poopy diaper

Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Posted by chelsea

I knew being a nanny would be an adventure, but I really had no idea what I was in for when I dove headfirst into this.

Yesterday, Alkistis was incredibly angry at me because I wouldn't let her drink milk from the jug and had taken it away and put it in the top shelf of the refrigerator. During her temper tantrum, I noticed that George had pooped (he never stops...) so I picked him up to take him to the nursery and change his diaper. Alkistis of course wanted my undivided attention while she was kicking and screaming so she moved her tantrum to my leg and attached herself quite effectively to my right foot and allowed me to drag her down the hall as George decided he'd like to join in the screaming and began to holler at the top of his lungs and beat his little fists on my chest. As soon as I got George onto the changing table with his diaper undone and baby wipes poised, he swiftly reached down and stuck his hand in his own excrement and then proceeded to attempt to launch himself off of the table. I caught him midair and wrestled his twisting little body back to the table and attempted to clean him up and finish the always unpleasant task of changing him. Just as I was gaining a bit of control back, I realized I'd been so distracted that I hadn't noticed the screaming at my feet had ceased and Alkistis was giggling with delight below me, busying herself by pulling my jeans down to my ankles.

I did end up making it through the traumatic experience alive, but it took an extraordinary amount of patience and reassuring myself that it "would be over soon." I'm learning so much more than I could have ever expected from this job. I will never ever be one of the people that thinks stay-at-home moms don't really work.

5 comments:

BDLighted said...

OMG! What a day. Well listen after this adventure I am totally hooked. Please keep sharing your wonderful life with the rest of us! Thanks. PS I just saw the nanny diary and I thought of you while i was watching it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's horribly horrible! It's a non-children person's worst nightmare! Again, I salute you.

Unknown said...

hahaha, kids are amazing. can we see some pictures now?

J. Beauchamp said...

You should tell the people you work for to just get a fish next time.

http://www.vhemt.org/
...is apropos.

Sam said...

Amazing! I love it!