Another awkward moment...

Friday, May 23, 2008
Posted by chelsea

As a server, I come across all sorts of people with all sorts of attitudes. Luckily for me, I work in a place that generally attracts good-natured people, and I often get to strike up interesting conversations with them while I serve them.

Yesterday, for instance, I was serving a nice man and his friend, and about halfway through the meal he inquired about what I wanted to do when I grew up. I told him that for now, serving was what was paying the bills, but that I hoped to get back into photography as my way of life in the near future. He asked about college, leading me to tell him that I'd gone to Harding. His eyes lit up as he announced, "My brother went there!"

We talked a bit more, and I asked him why he hadn't gone there as well, and he made a slightly sarcastic comment about Harding being the "Christian school gone wild." I laughed, shook my head and replied, "No way, that's Pepperdine!"

That's when he stopped laughing and said, "My daughter goes to Pepperdine."

Oops.

No comments: