Allaahu akbar

Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Posted by chelsea

This morning I woke up at 8 am with the sounds of the Muslim call to prayer blaring through my windows. I live right across the street from a Muslim prayer temple and today is Eid ul-Fitr. It's the end of Ramadan, so I'm guessing that's why there are hoards of people streaming into the tiny prayer temple. According to Wikipedia it lasts three days, so I'm wondering if I'll be waking up to this for the next three mornings.

Generally I hear the prayer services each night, but they're not usually broadcast loudly through the streets, so it wafts in my window just faintly enough to lull me to sleep and provide a nice background to my evenings, but this morning was a bit more invasive. I didn't mind too much as it got me out of bed earlier than usual when I don't open the cafe, but Loulou was a bit freaked out and unnerved by the whole thing. Days like today I feel as if I'm in a different country...which I love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

someone say it. just say it.

neila said...

I love how they are all Muslim, but it's Christian Street. Ha!